Kier Environmental Management Strategy
Client: Kier Group
Role: Group Environmental Management
Project Manager: Charlie Law
In January 2017, Kier Group commissioned Sustainable Construction Solutions to assist with environmental management, with Charlie Law taking on the role of Deputy Group Environmental Manager as maternity cover. As part of this role Charlie took on responsibility for improving waste management and reporting, updating responsible sourcing policies, and assisting with the delivery of the Kier 30 by 30 energy programme.
The key delivery outcome for waste was to ensure ‘Reasonable Assurance’ was obtained when the annual sustainability report was externally audited. This included:
- Understanding the waste streams and management within each business unit
- Updating the measurement procedures to comply with the ENCORD Waste Measurement Protocol
- Management of the engagement with BRE SMARTWaste to implement changes to the software to help simplify the reporting process
- Engaging with management and staff to implement reduction measures and explain the importance of correct measurement
Assurance was successfully achieved in August 2017, and again in 2018.
In addition to waste management, we assisted with the following:
- Update of Kier timber and responsible sourcing policies
- Implementation of Activ Comply environmental and H&S legal register
- Management of 30 by 30 in 3 days event, which result in a Green Apple Gold Award (see SusConSol News)
- Arranging Environmental team meetings and attending senior management team meetings to report on progress
The contract was initially to provide assistance for six months, but this was extended to a total of fourteen months.