Grown in Britain Construction Strategy
Client: Grown in Britain
Role: Responsible Sourcing
Project Manager: Charlie Law
Charlie was approached by Grown in Britain in April 2013 to participate in a construction working group to investigate how the demand for home grown British timber could be increased, and took over as chair of the group from January 2014 to June 2015.
The advice given included:
- Developing a Grown in Britain licensing scheme that tracks the timber from woodland to construction sites
- Using this scheme for small woodlands to enter the market where FSC/PEFC certification is impracticable
- Developing a UKCG commitment statement
- Looking at increased value uses for Grown in Britain softwood, such as use in Cross Laminated Timber
- Developing a system that tracks the hardwood timber stocks available at Grown in Britain suppliers
In January 2015 Charlie was appointed as a member of the Grown in Britain Executive with responsibility for looking at how the UK hardwood timber supply chain could be improved, and how the construction industry could get more involved in helping small woodlands through their community engagement schemes.
“Charlie has been a great help in developing the overarching strategy for Grown in Britain, as well as leading the work to encourage contractors and their suppliers to specify more grown in Britain timber. I would highly recommend his skills as a projects manager, as well as his knowledge of responsible timber procurement” Dougal Driver – CEO, Grown in Britain
For more information on Grown in Britain, see www.growninbritain.org